Saturday, November 3, 2012

PITT vs. ND

So, here's my almost immediate (sorry, I had to eat dinner first) post ND game post. Boy howdy, that game nearly did me in. Remember the level of optimism I had in my last post? Yeah, that's the same level of pessimism I had watching the Pitt game. I could see all the dreams for going to another national championship & having a Heisman winner again slip through ND's collective fingers. It made me feel sick to my stomach. But somehow, some way, ND pulled out a victory in triple over time to continue on to 9-0. Luck of the Irish indeed.

It was clear from the start of the game that ND just wasn't playing at the same level they had played all season. Was it because of an Oklahoma hangover from beating a top team on the road & proving yourself to the country? Perhaps they overlooked Pitt? Or maybe it's because a lot of the players came down with the flu this past week? Who knows, either way they just didn't look like 2012 ND, especially the defense. ND's D has been spectacular this year, so to see a 4-4 Pitt just thrash through them at times was very concerning. A lot of sloppy tackles & bad angles by the D definitely had me screaming at my tv like a crazed loon. The offense was no better, after initially marching down the field with ease, ND just couldn't punch it into the endzone. That's when I started yelling at Brian Kelly's playcalling. I also yelled at my tv when Rees kept coming out. Basically, there was a lot of yelling.


I wasn't down with your shenanigans, ND.

 Honestly, I just wanted to take a nap after the first half of the game. I was just frustrated & tired & worried over ND's play. But I was hopeful that they would come through with their second half adjustments & finally get the ball moving. But you know, that didn't really happen until the 4th quarter, which made me go from feeling sleepy to feeling like I was going to throw up. Thankfully, ND woke up & Golson was on fire, minus a few very bad plays. The defense stiffened & ND fought back from a 14 point deficit (including a 2 pt conversion) to tie the game & send the teams into overtime.

I calmed down a bit at that point, but that didn't last long. First overtime included a FG by each team, not much drama there. Then came the second overtime, where ND marched down the redzone & Cierre Wood fumbled outside of & into the endzone, where Pitt recovered. Enter panic meltdown mode for me. All Pitt needed was a FG to win & they had a sure footed kicker. Pretty much guaranteed, right? I watched the Pitt players start to congratulate & hug one another as my heart sank. They set up the kick & he missed it. HE MISSED IT. Triple overtime. Pitt gets the ball again & ND's D holds to force another FG, which they make this time. ND gets the ball. Golson picks his way through the redzone via a few plays, then runs to the 1 yard line. Here we go, just punch the ball into the endzone & you win the game. Golson takes the ball under center & does just that, TD Notre Dame. Notre Dame wins in triple overtime! 9-0! All dreams of another national championship & another Heisman winner continue.


Agreed, Arthur. Agreed.

I let out the biggest sigh of relief. Did ND get embarrassed? They sure did. Did Pitt outplay ND? They sure did, in the first 3 quarters of the game. Should ND not overlook BC & Wake Forest? You bet your bippy. Hopefully this game lit a fire under ND. They can't take anything for granted. They have to fight to stay where they are & they have to fight to climb higher.

Fight, Fighting Irish. But hey, my team's 9-0!



No comments:

Post a Comment