Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cancer & My Mom

Hey friends, sorry it's been awhile again. Things have been a bit busy & stressed out lately. My mom had a doctor's check up yesterday. She is both a Breast & Ovarian Cancer survivor & I'm so happy to tell you that her blood test came back & there was no cancer, so she's still in remission.

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer last November. She underwent major surgery the day after Thanksgiving & started her chemo treatments last December. Her treatments were finished in April. Thankfully, she took to the chemo really well & she's been in the no cancer, normal range since Feb.

The year prior to that (Nov. 2010) my mom was diagnosed with Stage 0 Breast Cancer. She had two surgeries and underwent radiation therapy, but she didn't have chemo for the Breast Cancer. At the time, I couldn't imagine it getting worse, then came the Ovarian Cancer.

That's the short positive story of it. The long story was that it was easily the hardest time of both our lives. While the chemo she was on was not the severe chemo most people are put on, it was still really bad. Those treatment months included a rushed trip to the ER & a really bad fall/faint where she hit her head very hard & ended up with a giant gash on her head. I am an only child with divorced parents, so it was all on me to be her sole caregiver.

To be honest with you, it really took a toll on me emotionally & mentally. I still don't feel like the old me & I'm not quite sure I'll ever go back to being that person. I was a nervous wreck this whole week thinking about all the what ifs. It's not a walk in the park, that's for sure. Needless to say, I've become fearful of November. But we carry on & celebrate all good news. I am SO SO happy her blood test came out great.

I want to leave this post on a positive note, so here is a picture of 10 year old JC Chasez bobblehead I found cleaning out my closet.

Because I'm random, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment