Saturday, October 13, 2012

Stanford vs. Notre Dame

What was that? I'm still in a state of shock over how ND won that game. I'm also still coming down from the adrenaline rush, holy moly. Once I calmed down a little from my excitement, I thought to myself, "I really need to listen to Eye of the Tiger. Haha, I don't know why. It just feels like an Eye of the Tiger moment. Now, you do the same.




Perfect for this moment, right?

Let's get to this immediate game reaction post. Stanford vs. Notre Dame was a hard fought battle kind of game. A lot of turnovers, a lot of dropped passes & a lot of poor passes were plentiful for both teams. It was also full of hard fought runs & great defensive stands. Basically, it's the game that I expected to happen today, especially considering it was raining for the entire game. Like I said a few weeks ago, I love football in the rain. I love the grit of it. Football is rain & mud, when you can tell how good a player is by how filthy his jersey is. But I digress, back to the game.

I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about ND. It was definitely a stressful game to watch. I was really doubting Kelly at the end of the 4th when it was clear ND was going for the tie with a FG instead of trying to punch it in for a TD at the end to win it. I also got really scared when Golson was knocked out of the game & Rees came in. I was really nervous about playing Stanford in OT. Basically I was a bundle of nerves, that's what I'm trying to tell you. But ND fought with all they had the entire game.

ND had the first possession in OT & scored a TD. Then Stanford came back & eventually marches to the 1 yard line. 3rd down & they ran it up the gut, ND stopped them, 4th down. Do or die, game on the line. Stanford runs again, ND stops again. Game over! ND WINS! The ND players are euphoric against a rain soaked background & the ND students start to rush the field. Hold on, the refs are going to review it. Both teams go back to the sidelines & the fans are pushed back into the stands. NBC replays the final play over & over again. Apparently the Stanford player was initially stopped short of the goal line, but he kept churning his legs & twisting. At some point he reached over & it looked like he was able to get his hand & the ball in the endzone, but by doing this he also fumbled into the endzone. The question is if he maintained control of the ball before he broke the line, at least that's what Mayock kept asking. Meanwhile, I kept shouting at my tv about when the ref blew the whistle to stop said play. If the play was already blown dead then it wouldn't matter how much the guy churned & twisted.


& this seals it. His elbow was down before the goal line. This gif was sure made fast.

After it seemed like 30 mins, the ref finally came out & I held my breath the whole way through. He stated that there was no foul on the field for excessive celebration because ND had thought the game was over at that point. I was sitting there like, "there was an excessive celebration flag?". Then he said the call on the field stands & the game is over. ND WINS! For real this time.

Does any of this make any sense? Sorry, I'm still so excited & I'm writing this rather rushed. But hey hey, ND 6-0! BCS tomorrow. & I'm outta here. Have a good weekend, internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment